2013 Major California Building Code and Residential Code Changes
Thursday, May 8, 2014
Noon – 1:30PM
Free Members $3 Non-members
1.5 HSW/CES LU’s
The program will give an overview of the major changes to the newly adopted 2013 California Building Code and California Residential Codes. The program will focus on code changes that impact small firm practice in residential or smaller commercial projects.
Steven Winkel, FAIA, PE CASp joined The Preview Group, Inc. in 2005 and manages the firm’s San Francisco Bay Area office. Steve has over 39 years experience as an architect, engineer, landscape architect and recently became certified as an access specialist in California. Steve is currently serving his third 4-year term as the Architect member of the California Building Standards Commission. He is also on the Board of Directors of the National Institute of Building Sciences and is chair of the FEMA/NIBS Code Resource Support Committee which reviews and comments on building code changes related to seismic safety. Steve has served as chair of the American Institute of Architects Codes and Standards Committee. He is the author, along with noted illustrator Frank Ching, of the well-received book Building Codes Illustrated for John Wiley & Sons, now in its third edition. As both an architect and civil engineer with experience in project management, code analysis and quality assurance reviews, Steve brings a unique perspective and broad knowledge base to the firm’s work.
1. Identify significant changes made in the basic 2012 IBC that are included in the 2013 CBC.
2. Identify California-specific changes to the 2010 CBC in the 2013 CBC.
3. Identify significant changes made in the basic 2012 IRC that are included in the 2013 CRC.
4. Identify California-specific changes to the 2010 CRC in the 2013 CRC.
5. Identify changes made by California in CBC Chapter 11A regarding access to covered multifamily housing.
6. Identify additional modifications to the 2010 ADAS by California in CBC Chapter 11B for Public Accommodations.