Westcon Annual Symposium 2014: Water Resistive Barriers – The Hidden Critical Element in a Wall
Tuesday November 11, 2014
Golden Gate Fields, Turf Club
1100 Eastshore Highway, Berkeley, CA
Complimentary continental breakfast, buffet lunch and afternoon snacks will be provided.
7.5 CES LUs
Westcon’s purpose is to promote the highest standards of professionalism and to protect the general welfare of the construction consultant, to improve the practice of the professional construction consultant, and to offer expertise and knowledge to the construction industry.
AIA East Bay is delighted to co-sponsor the 2014 Westcon symposium that will feature a full day of lectures on water resistive barriers from expert presenters:
Session 1, Water Resistive Barriers (WRB), Air Barriers & Vapor Barriers – Tom Butt, FAIA, Interactive Resources
- Understand classifications and code requirements for water resistive barriers, air barriers, vapor retarders and flexible flashings.
- Be able to discuss the limitations of industry standards for different categories of products.
- Be able to apply industry standards for comparing and contrasting products and applications.
- Be able to identify information sources available to assist in the selection of products.
Session 2, Moisture Modeling & Computer Modeling – Phil Dregger, Technical Roof Services
- Understand basic concepts of water vapor transmission and condensation in frame building walls.
- Be able to identify the functions and limitations of hydrothermal computer modeling.
- Be able to analyze basic wall details to apply knowledge for preparing better details.
- Be able to evaluate wall designs in the context of moisture control standards.
Session 3, Application of Building Paper, Felt & Flashings, Chris Nelson, Technical Roof Services
- Understand multiple layer application, attachment and repair of WRB assemblies.
- Be able to discuss code requirements and industry standards for flashings.
- Be able to evaluate water testing techniques and standards.
- Be able to recognize and select appropriate details for integrating flashings and WRB from presented examples.
Session 4, Application of Polymeric Building Wraps & Flashings, Robert Bateman, AIA, Simpson, Gumpertz & Heger
- Understand sequence of application, attachment and repair of WRB assemblies.
- Be able to recognize options for terminating WRB at top and bottom of walls.
- Be able to compare and contrast industry standards for wall flashing techniques of windows and wall penetrations.
- Be able to specify and select WRB and flashing details for integrated wall design assemblies from presented examples.
Session 5, Application of Liquid-Applied WRB & Flashings – Charlie Saul, Aquatech Consultancy, Inc.
- Know the criteria for using fluid applied WRB and flashings at appropriate conditions.
- Be able to discuss issues of material chemistry and compatibility when selecting products.
- Be able to describe application characteristics and evaluate manufacturers’ requirements.
- Be able to compare products against criteria for over a dozen testing mock-ups displayed and available for observation.