Graff Architects designed a major addition which was constructed in 2010 and 2011. This project expanded the Gupper floor over the existing family room to create a new master bedroom suite and remodeled a second bedroom.
There were two major challenges in the design. The interior spaces were created with the addition of gables and dormers and a second “witch’s hat,” so the roof-line could be maintained. The second challenge was to compose these elements so they were pleasing on the exterior and complemented the existing house. By extending roof-lines and replicating existing details and elements, the new addition appears to have been part of the original construction.
In 2013 the kitchen was remodeled. The major challenge was to create a modern functional kitchen that retained the old world character of the home. The kitchen windows were modified to accommodate kitchen counters on the inside while maintaining the exterior form and scale of the bay.
The home is a Piedmont Centennial House and is documented in the book “Cottages and Castles” by Ann Swift. The home was built in 1898 and occupied by the Rackliffe family and later the Duck family. For years the home was known as the “Duck House,” as indicated by the bronze plaque at the entry.