The Changing Rules for Accessory Dwelling Units
Thursday, June 1, 2017
Free AIA members / $3 Guests
Brown bag lunch (BYO Lunch)
1.5 CES LUs
SFF Host: Andus H. Brandt, Architect
This will be a round-table discussion on the changing rules regarding Accessory Dwelling Units, the official term for “Granny-Flats” and “In-Law Units.” Many architects in the area now have varying experiences, both good and bad, around these new rules. It’s time we share our newfound wisdom with each other!
Our discussion on “Accessory Dwelling Units in the East Bay” will roughly cover issues in eight categories:
1) Off- Street Parking
2) Public Transportation
3) Conversion of Existing Buildings
5) Floor Area
6) Roof and Wall Heights
7) “Efficiency Unit” requirements for small spaces
The last category is a catch-all for issues the participants want to bring to the table. Much of the discussion will be about the parameters set by local planning departments, but this is not the only tack.
After completing this program, attendees will…
- Learn the range of local requirements for ADUs.
- Gain a perspective of unexpected challenges other architects have faced in building ADUs.
- Develop a broader knowledge of successful ADU solutions.
- Learn about pending ADU requirement changes.