PROJECT ARCHITECT, 7-10 YEARS, ALAMEDA
We are looking for an architect who is committed to making beautiful and ecological homes and other spaces.
WHAT WE DO The firm’s primary focus is single-family residential design – new homes and additions. We also sometimes design childcare centers and commercial/industrial projects. Our design ranges from new and contemporary to historic preservation. A minimum of 2 years’ experience in single family residential design is required for the position.
OFFICE ENVIRONMENT Our office is informal and collaborative. The work is efficiently fast-paced and rigorous. This is a good opportunity to play a large role in a small firm. There is a lot of opportunity for growth and for a talented architect to take on a high level of responsibility. We are located in a bright, open office in Alameda near Park Street; we share this comfortable building and resources with a top residential construction firm.
HOURS AND BENEFITS We offer competitive salary and benefits. Our office culture and project types are such that work hours are reasonable and flexible. We are focused when we are here but over-working is discouraged.
- Professional degree in architecture. Licensed or working toward CA Architect license.
- Substantial experience and a real passion for single-family residential projects is needed. Interest in our occasional commercial/industrial and childcare projects is also important.
- Very proficient in AutoCAD and Revit; Sketchup a plus. (We are currently mostly using AutoCAD + Sketchup, but are gradually transitioning to Revit).
- Demonstrated project management skills. Ability to effectively coordinate with team members, clients, consultants, public officials and contractors.
- Excellent and varied design skills. Understanding of historic styles as well as contemporary design. Ability to solve complex design problems.
- Excellent technical skills. Knowledge of structures, materials and building systems. Proficient with wood-frame construction detailing. Understanding of the convergence of aesthetic and technical design.
- Good freehand drawing skills, for sketching ideas and communication (not needed for presentation).
- Solid knowledge of California codes and entitlement processes. Ability to navigate permit processes.
- Experienced in Construction Administration.
- Hands-on construction experience is a big plus.
- A car is required.
WHAT TO SEND In addition to a resume and work samples including construction drawings you have produced, please include a short letter (one page maximum) describing where your heart lies in your work. What is personally meaningful and exciting to you in your work? How do you translate your experience and skill into better buildings, sites and communities? Where do you want to take your career?
WHERE TO APPLY Send email to Alexandra Saikley at firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.