DESIGNER, 2-7 YEARS, ALAMEDA
We are looking for a designer who is committed to making beautiful and ecological homes and other spaces.
WHAT WE DO The firm’s primary focus is single-family residential design – new homes and additions. We also sometimes design childcare centers and commercial projects. Our design ranges from new and contemporary to historic preservation. A minimum of 2 years’ experience in single family residential design is required for the position.
OFFICE ENVIRONMENT Our office is informal and collaborative. The work is efficiently fast-paced and rigorous. This is a good opportunity for steady mentorship from the principal and other experienced architects in our small firm. There is a lot of opportunity for growth and for a talented designer to take on a high level of responsibility. The designer or architect in this position would be involved in design; production; detailing; construction administration; coordinating with clients, consultants, public officials and contractors; and business development. We are located in a bright, open office in Alameda near Park Street; we share this comfortable building and resources with a top residential construction firm, Buestad Construction.
HOURS AND BENEFITS We offer competitive salary and benefits. Our office culture and project types are such that work hours are reasonable and flexible. We are focused when we are here but over-working is discouraged.
- Professional degree in architecture. Licensed or working toward CA Architect license.
- Very proficient and fast in AutoCAD and Sketchup.
- Proficiency in Revit. We are currently mostly using AutoCAD + Sketchup, but are gradually transitioning to Revit.
- Ability to produce a solid set of construction drawings. Attention to detail and accuracy.
- Good organizational and interpersonal skills. Ability to effectively coordinate with team members, clients, consultants, public officials and contractors.
- Good design skills. Ability to generate design ideas and to develop a design from concept through CD’s, with oversight from principal or senior project manager.
- Good technical skills. Knowledge of structures, materials and building systems. Understanding of wood-frame construction detailing. Interest in the convergence of aesthetic and technical design.
- Good freehand drawing skills, for sketching ideas and communication (not needed for presentation).
- Experience and a passion for designing homes, as well as interest in commercial projects. Enjoyment of complex problem-solving.
- Hands-on construction experience is a big plus.
WHAT TO SEND In addition to a resume and work samples including construction drawings you have produced, please include a short letter (one page maximum) describing where your heart lies in your work. What is personally meaningful and exciting to you in your work? How do you translate your experience and skill into better buildings, sites and communities? Where do you want to take your career?
WHERE TO APPLY Send email to Alexandra Saikley at firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.