We are seeking a creative and collaborative exhibit designer/architect to work as part of our team in Oakland, CA to develop and design innovative projects that redefine the museum and educational environment, both indoors and outdoors.
Gyroscope, Inc. is an award-winning interdisciplinary studio that prides itself on its strong, and diverse collection of skills and backgrounds. Our mission is to design learning environments that provide value for children, families, and communities. We are a group of creative thinkers, architects, designers, artists, and collaborators, with a holistic approach to learning, delivering high impact results to our clients.
We create learning experiences over a broad range of environments and design platforms that include science centers, children’s museums, learning gardens, schools, libraries, cultural institutions and site-specific art installations. As a design studio, we provide an opportunity for unlimited creative growth with the challenge and responsibility to transform vision into reality.
Specifics for the position:
- Investigate, develop and design new models for learning environments
- Collaborate with team consultants, engineers, evaluators, researchers, clients, and other stakeholders
- Plan, manage, and complete project tasks from inspirational concepts through construction documents
- Think and work in a wide variety of disciplines including STEM, educational theory, architecture, multimedia, graphics, and interactive exhibits design.
- Communicate ideas internally and to clients through sketches, illustrations, diagrams, drawings, verbally and in writing
- Develop designs from conceptual renderings and 3-D models, through schematics, design development, CD and bid phases
- Coordinate with team specialists including structural engineers, MEP, lighting designers and client advisors
- Research and integrate formal and informal learning practices, new materials, technologies, and building methods into design ideas
- Contribute to the development and growth of a multidisciplinary design studio
- Architectural license in California and/or another state (Optional)
- A deep passion and commitment to design collaboration
- A strong desire to integrate architectural design and exhibition design
- Ability to think with your hands; proven experience in designing and building things. This includes knowledge of the design process, ergonomics, Universal Design, user interface, materials, construction skills, and building techniques
- Experience working in the field(s) of architecture, landscape design, exhibit design, and education.
- Minimum two years of experience in design, architecture, and construction from concept phase through construction.
- Excellent organizational skills and a strong ability to plan, manage and execute a project on schedule and budget
- Fluent in hand sketching and drawing
- Proven ability in the use of computer-based tools: Vectorworks 3D, Adobe Creative Suite, Microsoft Office
Commensurate with experience
Please send a resume, digital portfolio as PDF file, and letter of interest to Tasha@gyroscopeinc.com