Intermediate Architectural Designer – Temporary
Framestudio is a team of designers who are passionate for the architecture of simplicity. Be it a new home designed for family living, a cabin in the woods providing respite from an overstimulating world, or a commercial space with a bold formal idea, our work celebrates the calm, the unassuming, and the lyrical.
We are on the hunt for a sharp, fresh thinking Architectural Designer to join our downtown Oakland studio. This is a temporary position. Our design-focused office is small by intent, affording lots of attention to each project by the whole team.
- Participate as a team player within the firm. We believe that our strength comes from the sum of all of our talents. Designers of all levels, including interns collaborate on every phase of our projects.
- Participate in client meetings, jobsite walks, correspond with clients and consultants, and manage expectations all around.
- BA in Architecture, BArch or MArch Degree.
- 5-7 years of residential and small scale commercial experience.
- Proficiency in MacOS, AutoCAD, Sketchup and Adobe CC.
- Familiar with local building codes and experience preparing planning and permit sets for submission to Bay Area and Sonoma County municipalities.
- Experience detailing modernist projects.
- Comfortable interacting with high net worth individuals.
- Has a methodical and organized approach to workflow and deadlines.
- Ability to multitask on multiple projects, prioritize and manage tasks against deadlines and other metrics. Follow-through and resourcefulness are necessary attributes to have in this challenging construction climate.
- Possess a valid driver’s license and are willing to travel to projects out of the immediate area.
- The ability to communicate confidently and clearly in English both spoken and in writing.
- The ability to legally work within the United States. Framestudio is unable to sponsor foreign nationals at this time.
Why Work for Us?
For over a decade, the director of Framestudio has focused on creating carefully conceived, simple, unassuming spaces that are informed by ways of living outside of our national borders. Our work has received numerous accolades from local and national publications. We recently completed the refurbishment of a Joseph Esherick cabin in The Sea Ranch, as well as a flagship retail store in Palo Alto. Our current workload consists of custom homes in Sonoma County, a contemporary addition to an historic bungalow, and a tower to be constructed using cross-laminated timber technology.
We believe our office culture is unique, where humor, passion for good design, and travel and exposure to design are all highly valued. We also value life outside of work, managing our workload to avoid working late evenings and weekends.
In addition to competitive wages, health benefits and retirement accounts with 2% matching, we offer:
- The opportunity for growth within the firm.
- Downtown Oakland office location one block from 12th Street BART
- Two half day Fridays per month.
- Referral bonus for projects brought into the firm.
In your cover letter, please share with us an example of a project by an architecture firm that you find relates to our work. Please describe why you find it relevant and compelling.
No phone calls, please.
Please submit your resume and examples of your work in PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org.