Project Profile: A2R Architects
The Palms at San Lauren
Assisted Living and Memory Care
Situated on 3.48 acres in Bakersfield, The Palms, a recently completed 56,700 square foot facility, offers its assisted living and memory care residents a secure and comfortable environment and an enhanced lifestyle through an array of thoughtful amenities and quality services. A total of 68 studio and one-bedroom units exist with two assisted living units for each memory care unit.
[Best_Wordpress_Gallery id=”3″ gal_title=”A2R Architects”]
A key programmatic goal for The Palms included an exterior design tie-in to the completed Phase 1 project, a skilled nursing facility, located adjacent to the site. The building is similar single story Type V construction. Additional objectives for this project included: maximizing the number of living units on site; providing all residents a connection to outside views and natural light; and allocating space for a minimum of 81 staff and visitor parking spaces. These goals were accomplished despite the compressed site depth that created an elongated floor plan. Additionally, staff supervision points were strategically placed centrally and at each end of the building and corridors to optimize supervision of residents.
The floor plan integrates two large courtyards with walking paths connecting the lobby, main dining room and Memory Care area. A series of large windows along entryways fill spaces with bright, natural light to promote a feeling of well-being and a connection to the outdoors. Lighting features also include solar tubes in large interior spaces. Principal spaces within the facility include a production kitchen, main dining room, family dining room, café, living room, activity room, theater, salon and spa.
The warm, inviting interior reflects a rustic country theme incorporating reclaimed wood, stone, tile, and painted/textured gypsum board. Colorful custom designed murals, artwork, and local memorabilia graphically recall Bakersfield’s historical landmarks, industries and people.
- Owner: Blue Mountain Communities, Vacaville, CA
- Contractor: Blue Mountain Construction Services, Vacaville, CA
- Architect: A2R Architects, Vacaville, CA
- Interior Design: Inside-Design, LLC, Vacaville, CA
- Civil Engineer: McIntosh & Associates, Bakersfield, CA
- Landscape Architect: McIntosh & Associates, Bakersfield, CA
- Structural Engineer: Mozaffari Engineering, Modesto, CA
- MEP Engineering: Pittman Engineering, Roseville, CA
- Joint Trench: California Utility Consultant, Fresno, CA
- Food Service: Myers Restaurant Supply, Santa Rosa, CA
- Geotechnical: Soils Engineering, Bakersfield, CA
- Photography: Rob Henley, AIA/LEED AP