BIM to BEM: “Mission Impossible” or “Pursuit of Happiness”? (1 LU)
This webinar is primarily targeted to individuals who regularly create building energy models (BEM) from building information models (BIM). You may be a consultant, internally or externally, to an architectural team and are asked to convert BIM models to BEM with regular update intervals concurrent with key project deliverables. This webinar walks you through common issues faced when translating geometry from BIM to BEM. Subsequently, the presenters offer a few workarounds based on their experience and workflows that “alleviate” the pain of creating “clean” BEM geometry from BIM. The key in this arena is accuracy and speed by which one can bring the 3D representation of a building into the energy modeling world, analyze/visualize the results while maintaining the continuity of analysis as project progresses and/or shift platforms as needed.
The purpose of this webinar is also coalition building around many commonly known geometry translation issues. The presenter’s perspectives are by no means all-exhaustive, they hope to solicit interested individuals to form a knowledge-sharing forum that convenes online on a regular basis (monthly or quarterly) to discuss best practices in dealing with BIM to BEM issues and move the industry forward as a whole.
- Describe three common issues with translating BIM to BEM geometry
- Get familiar with a few workarounds for better BEM quality translation from BIM
- Compare three BEM software from the gbxml import quality standpoint
- Identify how an energy modeler can influence the BIM model generation from beginning forbetter BEM
- Architecture for the Future of Public Housing (1 LU|HSW)
- Jun 05 2023
- 9:00 am - 10:00 am