Design for Water | AIA CA Climate Action Webinar Series (1 LU | HSW)
Join us to hear Paula Kehoe, Director of Water Resources with the San Francisco Public Utilities Commission, speak on their Onsite Water Reuse Program which encourages the collection and treatment of alternate water sources (graywater, blackwater, rainwater, stormwater, and foundation drainage) for non-potable uses within buildings in San Francisco.
About the speaker:
Paula Kehoe is the Director of Water Resources with the San Francisco Public Utilities
Commission (SFPUC). She is responsible for diversifying San Francisco’s local water
supply portfolio through the implementation of conservation, groundwater, recycled
water, onsite water recycling and innovations programs. Paula spearheaded San
Francisco’s landmark legislation allowing for reuse of alternate water sources in
buildings. Additionally, Paula is the Chair of the National Blue Ribbon Commission of
Onsite Non-potable Water Systems.
- Paula will discuss the National Blue Ribbon Commission for Onsite Non-potable Water Systems’ innovative and collaborative approach to addressing key design, implementation, regulatory, and water quality challenges to onsite water reuse to create consistency across the United States.
- Content includes an exploration of the risk-based approach used to develop treatment
requirements and monitoring approaches.
- Paula will touch on the soon to be released guidance manual and training materials, which teaches designers, developers, operators, and regulators the knowledge and skills to safely implement decentralized water systems.
- Paula will also discuss steps to reducing potable water use and to determine what is really needed. Do we really need to irrigate a lawn, or can we plant self-sufficient natives instead? Do we need to use potable water in our chiller, or can we use captured rainfall or collected condensate?
- Architecture for the Future of Public Housing (1 LU|HSW)
- Jun 05 2023
- 9:00 am - 10:00 am