SFF: Heroes & Villains:Effective Communications with Clients and Contractors (1.5 LU)
“Its not easy to communicate when the news is bad”
Learn from others mistakes before you make them. This could save you lost business, a bad reputation and smooth your daily interactions with clients.
This event is your opportunity as a small firm practitioner to talk about the core practice issue of clear, effective communication with clients and contractors. We will talk about experiences and lessons learned, resulting in the sharing of practical knowledge that can be used in each attendee’s own practice.
Rebecca and Andrew will moderate an on-line conversation, open to all attendees, focusing on the challenges of communicating effectively with clients and contractors. How do we convey the value of good design? How do we disagree or persuade when we see a project going off-track? What are effective ways to protect and even improve design quality once construction has begun? Rebecca and Andrew will offer questions to prompt the discussion.
About the speakers:
Andrew has been running his own solo practice since 2007, focusing on single-family residential remodels and additions. In 2014, his redesign of the kitchen in a well-known project by Joseph Esherick was recognized in the chapter’s annual Design Awards program. Prior to establishing his own practice, he worked at Korth Sunseri Hagey Architects in San Francisco and ELS Architecture and Urban Design in Berkeley.
Rebecca has had her own firm in the Bay Area since 1991. Her work is primarily residential. She worked in Paris, Zurich and in NYC for Mitchell/Giurgola before returning to her native Bay Area.
- Become aware of challenging situations that may arise in interactions with clients and contractors.
- Based on experience sharing, obtain tools for dealing with those situations.
- Become aware of approaches to communicating that were NOT successful for others.
- Learn ways to articulate the value of design and the importance of the architect in the design and construction process.
- Let’s Clear the Air: Ventilation, High Performance, and Passive House
- Mar 10 2021
- 11:00 am - 2:30 pm