Small Firm Forum: The New Title 24 for Residential Design: What You Should Know (1.5 LU | HSW)
This presentation will look at particulars of the 2019 California Energy Code as it relates to residential additions and new houses, including Accessory Dwelling Units. We will discuss trigger points for insulation, water heating, and ventilation that have changed since the 2016 code. We will discuss common Energy compliance strategies for this project type. We will discuss electric space-heating and water-heating options to replace the gas-fired equipment that designers may have specified in the past. Be prepared to discuss your experience with the new title 24 for the last half hour. Deborah Lane will moderate with Dan Johnson.
About the speaker
Dan Johnson, AIA, is a licensed architect and holds a Master of Architecture degree from the University of Washington, which included a Valle Fellowship to study building technology at the IVL Swedish Environmental Institute in Stockholm. Recognized as an expert on sustainable buildings and early-design energy modeling, Dan enjoys creative problem solving and using his broad skillset to bridge gaps between architects, engineers, owners, and contractors. Prior to joining Beyond Efficiency, Dan led projects through all phases of design in the K-12 Schools studio at Ratcliff Architects, and worked as a designer and project manager at Arkin Tilt Architects. Dan also brings his experience from the Integrated Design Lab in Seattle, where he consulted on daylighting for commercial and educational buildings.
- Apply the 2019 California Energy Code to a residential project to understand requirements that are new or unfamiliar this code cycle;
- Describe the parts of a home or addition, especially Accessory Dwelling Units, that are affected uniquely by the 2019 California Energy Code;
- Discuss the pros and cons of different approaches to compliance, seeking design flexibility and ease of constructability; and
- Identify HVAC and water-heating solutions to eliminate gas combustion from the project
- Architectural Bay Cruise: The Tale of Two Cities | A’23
- Jun 07 2023 - Jun 10 2023
- All Day