Website Mikiten Architecture
We are literally reinventing architecture and accessibility
Our firm is one of a kind. Our beautiful West Berkeley office opens to a garden patio. We focus on the social justice of Universal Design, while designing buildings that win design awards in every category. We are skillful, determined, dedicated and curious.
Mikiten Architecture is a full-service firm taking a wide range of clients. We have a new branch called The Art of Access that takes a laser focus on Universal Design – we’re showing the world that the historic choice between accessibility and beautiful architecture is a false idea; by doubling down on Universal Design we can understand users and their needs so deeply that the architectural expression of that isn’t just beautifully usable, but it also creates opportunities for visual beauty that might never be found otherwise.
This is the right job for someone who will dive in deep and run with a project, from the first idea to the last touch on the building. For someone who is highly principled and who sees meaning in the work. For someone who enjoys beauty, quiet, and focus.
We’re seeking an intern architect/drafter who has self-direction and who shares a passion for innovation in housing, tech workplace projects, and Universal Design. We will consider part-time or full-time work. In this office, it’s about fit.
Only candidates able to work in our office will be considered. We will not consider remote work except until we open full-time post-COVID.
- A beautiful, peaceful, and supportive work environment.
- Fun, creative projects with good clients.
- An unending pursuit of design innovation and technology.
- Expertise in Sustainable Design and Universal Design.
- A surprising range of work for a small office: Multifamily, commercial, New Tech workplaces, single-family, and Universal Design-specific work of all flavors.
- A wheelchair-accessible workspace.
- Flexibility for employees with children or other family duties.
- 2-4 years experience.
- Exceptional organizational skills (ability to manage a project, identify tasks, and interface with the entire project team with minimal oversight).
- Experience producing a set of CDs and developing architectural details.
- Superior, demonstrable BIM skills. We use Archicad (not AutoCAD). We prefer a candidate with Archicad experience, but will consider those with outstanding overall BIM capabilities (such as Revit), and the ability to quickly learn ArchiCad.
- Knowledge of and passion for Universal Design and Sustainable Design.
- Interest in working on both small and large projects.
- The ability to write clearly without errors in spelling or grammar.
- An acute attention to detail.
- An upbeat, can-do personality.
- Lived experience of a disability is a plus for our Universal Design consulting, but not a requirement.
Please send to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Cover letter presenting yourself and why you are interested in this position.
*** Please describe your Archicad or other BIM capabilities in detail. ***
- PDF resume.
- A link to your work OR 3 PDF images of representative design work AND production work (no DWG format or zipped files).