Website Salazar Architect Inc.
public interest architecture + urban design
Project Manager / Senior Project Manager– Portland or Sacramento
Salazar Architect Inc. is a growing firm focused on creating big social and environmental impacts, with an increasing emphasis on design justice. We are a multi-cultural group of designers and architects – collectively we represent seven countries of origin and six spoken languages. Our staff is organized into three Design Research Labs – Community Design, Well-being Design, and Sustainable Design – through which we conduct research, advocacy, and pro bono projects. We empower all staff to spend up to 10% of their time in the lab to help advance our community-based vision.
Much of our work is in service of low-income families and Black, Indigenous, and People of Color (BIPOC). We value the lived experience you bring to the design table, and we encourage candidates who desire working in diverse teams and providing culturally inclusive engagement to apply.
We are seeking a Project Manager and/or a Senior Project Manager to lead and coordinate multiple building and/or urban design master plan projects that may include affordable housing, mixed-use or commercial buildings and other community benefit developments. The role of Project Manager or Senior Project Manager will be determined based on experience and qualifications; Senior Project Managers will be able to manage multiple larger or more complex projects.
This position is ideal for someone who is concerned about social and environmental values in their personal and professional lives; and has experience living in, working with, or volunteering with BIPOC communities.
PM and Senior PM Responsibilities
- Act as lead project manager and drive the project delivery during all phases of the project.
- Lead client and consultant communication on projects. Proactively initiate potential solutions that advance the practice of architecture and Salazar Architect’s Mission, Vision, and Values.
- Support the project by respectfully interacting/ negotiating with planning and building departments and advances the practice of architecture.
- Manage team morale, client perception, and forecasting of short- and long-term project needs.
- Oversee the production team and communicate project deadlines, phase completion, staffing needs, and changes in a timely manner. Assign and monitor the completion of tasks.
- Oversee team on documentation through all phases of the project.
- Provide quality assurance via review of project documentation.
- Review internal project accounting documents and draft invoices.
- Take on a leadership role in the office on a variety of non-billable assignments.
- Collaborate with other project managers, senior project managers, and principals in the office.
- Demonstrate firm-wide leadership by mentoring junior staff and teams.
- Understand and adhere to the project’s contract requirements. Provide attention to detail at areas of higher risk or deemed critical for success.
- Prepare and review proposals, contracts, and consultant agreements.
- Provide excellent client service and assure project profitability.
- Prepare scope of work, schedules, and fee proposals for principal review.
- Participate in the performance review of junior staff.
- Understand trends in the A/E/C industry and engage with A/E/C organizations and / or community-based organizations.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Organized, self-motivated, able to work independently.
- Highly proficient with building materials and detailing, ideally with both concrete and wood frame construction types.
- Advanced knowledge of the IBC / ADAAG and the ability to achieve the intent of the code through variances and appeals.
- Knowledge of other codes such as OMSC, OFC, NFPA, OSHA, FHA, ANSI, etc.
- Advanced knowledge of planning and zoning codes and ability to quickly learn City of Portland and/or other jurisdiction requirements in OR, CA, WA.
- Working knowledge of green building systems such as Earth Advantage Certification, USGBC LEED rating system and score card, California Green Point Rated, Washington ESDS or other systems.
- Knowledge of Smartsheet and Ajera, or Deltek preferred.
- Experience with Revit, AutoCAD, SketchUp, Adobe Creative Cloud is a plus.
- Strong interest in collaborating with BIPOC community-based organizations.
Education and Experience
- Licensure preferred but not required.
- Professional degree in architecture.
- Project Manager: Minimum of 8 years of industry experience, including 2+ years as Project Manager on multi-family affordable housing developments.
- Senior Project Manager: 12+ years of professional architecture experience, including 5+ years as a Project Manager through all phases including construction, working on medium to large scale housing and/or publicly funded project types.
- Sustainability credential(s) such as LEED, WELL, or LFA preferred.
This is a full-time position based in Portland, OR or Sacramento, CA. We are currently working remotely due to COVID and are progressing toward a transition to a hybrid office/remote model, with flexibility.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Salazar Architect Inc. is an equal opportunity employer that values equity, diversity, and inclusion. Women and BIPOC candidates are encouraged to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We offer a competitive salary and benefits structure commensurate with experience.
Please email resume and work examples to email@example.com with “Project Manager” in the subject and visit www.salazarch.com for additional information about our firm.