Website Mikiten Architecture (and The Art of Access)
Our office is one of a kind: a beautiful West Berkeley space that opens to a garden and patio. We focus on the social justice of Universal Design, while designing buildings that win design awards in every category. We are skillful, determined, dedicated and curious.
We do a wide range of projects through Mikiten Architecture, but started a sister firm in 2021 that’s focused on showing the world that Universal Design shouldn’t just be seen as a set of technical goals, but rather an opportunity for greater creativity and even more dramatically beautiful buildings…that happen to be comfortable for everyone. Although we offer technical expertise, we do not sell ourselves as technicians; it’s the artistic opportunities that made us create the new company, so we called it The Art Of Access. Interest is already being sparked around the country.
SHORT TAKE ON THE POSITION:
Full-time mid/upper-level, self-directed architect who shares a passion for innovation in housing, single-family homes, tech workplace projects, and Universal Design. We want someone who’s energized about and wants to be part of expanding our new endeavor. Since we’re mission-driven, the most important thing is finding a good fit.
THIS IS THE RIGHT JOB FOR…
…someone who will dive in deep and run with a project, from the first line drawn on the page to the last touch on the building.
…someone who can think through and organize a project.
…someone who is highly principled and who sees meaning in work that’s socially important and also pushes ideas of sculptural design.
…someone who enjoys beauty, quiet, and focus in their workspace and in their projects.
Only local candidates able to work in our office will be considered. We have work-from-home flexibility, but the creative energy of in-person collaboration is critical. We will not consider remote only applicants.
- A beautiful, supportive work environment.
- Fun, creative projects with good clients.
- An unending pursuit of design innovation and technology.
- Expertise in Sustainable Design and a national leadership position in Universal Design.
- A surprising range of work for a small office: Multifamily, commercial, New Tech workplaces, single-family, and Universal Design-specific work of all flavors.
- A wheelchair-accessible workspace.
- Flexibility for employees with children or other family duties.
- 5+ years experience, preferably licensed or close to licensure.
- Exceptional organizational skills (ability to manage a project, identify tasks, and interface with the entire project team with minimal oversight).
- Experience producing a full set of CD’s and developing architectural details independently.
- Construction Administration experience on complex projects.
- Ability to manage a project’s time & fee budget.
- Superior, demonstrable BIM skills. We use Archicad (not AutoCAD). We prefer a candidate with Archicad experience, but will consider those with outstanding overall BIM capabilities (such as Revit), and the ability to learn Archicad.
- Knowledge of and passion for Universal Design and Sustainable Design.
- Interest in working on both small and large projects.
- The ability to write clearly without errors in spelling or grammar.
- An acute attention to detail.
- An upbeat, can-do personality.
- Cover letter presenting yourself and why you are interested in this position. *** Please describe your Archicad or other BIM capabilities in detail. ***
- PDF resume.
- A link to your work OR 3 PDF images of representative design work AND production work (no DWG format or zipped files).