JOB CAPTAIN – COMMUNITY & COMMERCIAL
Website William Duff Architects
DESIGN FOR A MODERN WORLD
William Duff Architects (WDA) is looking for a Job Captain with 3 -10+ years of experience to join our Community and Commercial Practices. We are an award-winning, inclusive architecture firm, comprised of bright, creative, motivated people. Built as a people-based practice, we were recognized as the only architecture firm to make it on the San Francisco Business Times Best Places to Work List (2020, 2022). With capabilities in multiple sectors, we specialize in residential, workplace, community, hospitality, and retail across the Bay Area and beyond. We offer competitive salaries, full benefits, a transit-friendly brand-new workplace, and opportunities for professional growth.
WDA is passionate about serving our clients through the design of exceptional, sustainable architecture delivered through excellent project management.
- Communication – We believe sharing ideas in a respectful, collaborative environment is essential to success.
- Creativity – We overcome challenges through unique and innovative solutions.
- Transparency – We conduct our work with openness, honesty, and integrity.
- Excellence – We strive for excellence in all facets of our work.
- Growth – We promote the continuous improvement of our firm, projects, processes, and people.
You know you’re the right person if you:
- Want a supportive, fun, comfortable, and efficient office environment.
- Thrive in a friendly and creative team.
- Thrive in a fast-paced collaborative environment.
- Have a learning mindset and embrace a good challenge – yes please!
- Want to grow your skills and career!
Qualifications and Skills:
- 3-10+ years of relevant experience working in an architecture office.
- Experience with publicly funded and non-profit commercial workplace tenant improvement, shell and core and rehab projects. Experience with private client commercial projects is a plus.
- Experience with various phases of a design project and construction documentation.
- Ability to work well in a team environment with experience managing and mentoring junior staff.
- Critical and creative thinker with strong design ability and attention to detail.
- Highly proficient in Revit, with experience in producing visualizations.
- Proficiency in AutoCAD, MS Office, Adobe Creative Suite, and Bluebeam.
- Strong writing, editing, organizational, and verbal communication skills.
- Knowledge of green building technologies, products, and net-zero design strategies.
- Receptive to coaching, with the ability to learn from constructive feedback and apply it to future work.
- Bachelor’s degree (B.A.) in Architecture from a four-year college, university, or equivalent; or five years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations:
- Documenting experience under the NCARB Architectural Experience Program (AXP) and actively pursuing licensure required. Licensure, LEED AP, and additional certifications encouraged.
About the position (major responsibilities):
- Exercise your creativity by hand and digitally. Do both! Prepare thoughtful and quality design illustrations or sketches and create digital models that accurately communicate projects’ design ideas, goals, and potential solutions.
- Getting into the nitty-gritty and ensuring the design does not get lost! Manage and produce well-coordinated, accurate, and thorough project drawing sets by developing design and technical drawings and researching relevant information.
- Move the whole team forward and foster a culture of teaching and learning: delegate project work, mentor junior team members and provide prompt preparation, communication, review, and constructive feedback.
- It looks great and it works. Conduct building, planning code, and product research with accurate interpretations and thorough documentation.
- Work closely with Project Architect or Project Manager to coordinate multiple active projects with internal team members and consultants, source material samples, and assess staffing needs.
- The architectural process and the experience of it matter to us and our clients! Coordinate an accurate, timely, and efficient permitting and agency approvals process, and keep internal and external teams well informed.
- Move the project and the project team forward. Coordinate, participate in, and contribute to in-person meetings and work to meet projects’ goals (design, budget, schedule, and team).
- Help set a good foundation for the construction process. Coordinate internal team’s bidding and negotiation activities and obtain cost estimates to move the project forward accurately and efficiently.
- Get down and dirty and get it built! Support the construction of projects with accurate, thorough, timely, and efficient Construction Observation activities, including site visits, RFI responses, submittal review, field reports, and others.
- Where the rubber meets the road! Conduct well-structured site visits based on project needs with prompt internal and external communication of coordination needs, decisions, and actions.
- Tackle the unknown and take advantage of the possibilities with gusto: foster a collaborative team approach through project process and professional connections.
- Salary is based on experience, qualifications, and skillset. Salary range: $80,000 to $121,000. Discretionary bonuses and profit sharing are additional.
- In addition to compensation, WDA offers benefits that can amount up to an approximate additional $14,000 a year per employee. Benefits includes health, life and LTD insurance, professional development stipend, licensure renewals and other lifestyle, wellness and continuing education perks.
- Competitive salaries based on experience
- 100% employer sponsored health, dental, vision & life insurance
- 401K retirement plan
- Profit Sharing (401K)
- Hybrid Work Schedule (In office & local work from home)
- Combined PTO
- 9 paid holidays (includes 2 employee choice holidays)
- 10 Remote workdays
- Annual stipend for professional development
- Mentorship program
- Architectural licensure support – AXP & ARE
- Ergonomic sit-stand workstations
- Food and wellness perks
- Quarterly office outings
- Summer hours
- Weekly happy hours
- In-house bicycle parking and shower
- Commuter benefits
- Retail discount program
- Hybrid Schedule. We are in the office as a team from Tuesdays through Thursdays. Mondays and Fridays are in office optional (local work from home available Mondays and Fridays).
Please submit the following in PDF form by email to [email protected] (not to exceed 4MB), and include the job title in the subject line:
- A cover letter articulating why you could be a good fit at WDA, and a bit about your personal design inspirations and aspirations
- Relevant work samples (including example of hand sketches)
- How you heard about WDA
No drop-in visits or phone calls, please. WDA is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer (AA/EOE). Candidates must be eligible to work full-time in the United States. Immigration or work visa sponsorship will not be provided.
Protect our team, protect our community: WDA requires our team members to be fully vaccinated (up-to-date) against COVID-19. If you are hired, vaccination verification documents will be required to complete the hiring process successfully.
LinkedIn Page: william-duff-architects-inc-
Instagram Page: wdarch_inc
Facebook Page: williamduffarchitects