Cyber Attack Protection by Nerd Crossing
As cyber threats continue to evolve, it is more important than ever for architects and design firms to prioritize cyber security. From intellectual property theft to ransomware attacks, the potential damage that can be caused by a cyber-attack is significant.
To protect against these risks, architects and design firms should consider implementing the following best practices:
1. Develop a Cyber Security Plan: Perform a cyber audit to identify your company’s areas of most risk. A comprehensive cyber security plan should be developed to address vulnerabilities. This plan should be communicated to employees and outline policies, procedures, and guidelines for data protection and risk management.
2. Employee Training: According to the 2021 Verizon Data Breach Investigations Report, phishing attacks accounted for 36% of all data breaches. Additionally, the report found that 85% of all data breaches involved a human element, such as a phishing email. Employee training is an essential component of any cyber security plan. All employees should be trained in the best practices for data protection, such as password management, email security, and how to detect and report potential threats.
3. Network Security: A strong network security system should be implemented to protect against unauthorized access to data. This includes firewalls, intrusion detection systems, and other security measures. Create virtual LANs to segment devices so that if one group becomes infiltrated, the others will still be protected.
4. Data Backup: Regular data backups are critical to ensure that critical data can be restored in the event of a cyber-attack and protect your company in the event of ransomware. We recommend two copies of backups, one locally for quicker restore time and another offsite (CrashPlan, Carbonite, etc.) for disaster recovery purposes.
5. Incident Response Plan: In the event of a cyber-attack, having an incident response plan in place can help minimize damage and expedite recovery. This plan should include procedures for responding to an attack, identifying the source of the attack, and notifying the appropriate parties. Review this with your employees annually.
By implementing these best practices, architects and design firms can minimize the risk of a cyber-attack and protect against potential damage. It is also important to work with trusted IT professionals who specialize in cyber security to ensure that all measures are in place and up to date.
Remember, cyber security is not just an IT issue – it is a business issue. By prioritizing cyber security, your firm can protect you, your clients, your reputation, and your business. At Nerd Crossing, we offer a range of Cyber Security services, including vulnerability assessments and training to help businesses stay secure in the digital age. During free consultations, we look over your hardware, software and infrastructure. Contact our Chief Nerd today to learn more: [email protected]