For more information and to apply, please see our careers page:
Job Title: Specifier
Supervisor: Technical Design Director
The Specifier’s focus is writing, editing, and coordinating project specifications to coincide with the project drawings in providing specifications for project manuals on a wide variety of projects. The position also includes periodic quality assurance/quality control (QA/QC) reviews during document preparation phases and final production as defined by SERA’s Process Manual.
SERA is a firm of learners, eager to advance the resilient and equitable outcomes we want to see for our communities and the planet. Our 100% employee-owned firm promotes a collaborative environment where every staff member’s unique strengths and contributions are valued. Sustainability, urbanism, and community-building are intrinsic to the ways we think and work. We’re not afraid of the gnarly problems that come with this territory; in fact, some of our favorite workdays wrap up around the kegerator passionately hashing out the next, better idea.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Perform specification documentation, as assigned, across all projects with QA/QC coordination reviews, for all phases (SD, DD and CD) of document preparation prior to release of documents for publication.
- Participate in team meetings as needed to obtain project design requirements and defining project scope for inclusion in specifications.
- Provide project team assistance and guidance in differentiating between similar product components and assemblies; provide product research and comparisons for project teams as needed.
- Review documents and coordinate with project team to write and edit specifications for products, validating product applications and compliance with applicable codes, regulations, and office standards within the SERA process manual.
- Work collaboratively and coordinate with CMGC/DB Contractors and subcontractors as necessary to further promote project success.
- Perform firm-wide QA/QC of construction document preparation (SD, DD and CD phases) prior to release of document publication as an advanced level of risk management.
- Demonstrate a high-level understanding of SERA office QA/QC policy, SERA process manual, document graphic standards and electronic documentation policy (including project archiving).
- Mentor staff on the importance, structure, contents, and role of specifications in projects.
- Participate in project technical charrettes.
- Assist in maintaining and contributing to the office master specifications database and developing specification section templates.
- Assist in conducting internal specifications training.
- Provide direction for architectural product vendor presentations and educational meetings
- Provide assistance to project teams regarding constructability of designs.
- Update and revise SERA office QA/QC policy and make recommendations for improvement to the office process manual.
- Participate in SERA office QA/QC program.
- Develop procedures/checklists to assist project teams in QA/QC and project archiving.
- Interface and discuss project challenges with other SERA office managers, specialists, etc.
- Assume a Project Architect role as assigned to assist in levels of project administration.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education + Experience
- Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s preferred.
- Licensed architect with 10 or more years of experience in construction document preparation and a minimum of 5 years in specification preparation, with a minimum 3 years of quality assurance background. Oregon and/or California registration preferred.
- Demonstrated participation in the preparation of contract documents of the following: new buildings and renovations of existing buildings, office tenant improvements, higher educational, office buildings, hotel/hospitality, Public and Government Facilities, multi-family housing uses, site improvements, and landscape architecture.
- High level of understanding and familiarity of the International Building Code (IBC); familiarity with relevant jurisdictional specific requirements.
- Construction Document Technologist (CDT) certification required; Certified Construction Specifier (CCS) preferred.
- Member of Building Enclosure Council (BEC) preferred.
- An understanding of the relevant jurisdictional specific building permitting process preferred.
- Proficiency with the following computer programs: MS Office Suite, BSD SpecLink, BlueBeam.
- Familiarity with the following programs preferred: Autodesk Revit, Autodesk Design Reviewer.
- LEED familiarity required; LEED AP preferred.
What you’ll bring:
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal; ability to provide answers to technical inquiries and deliver presentations on research to a variety of internal and external stakeholders.
- Advanced knowledge in construction document preparation, building constructability and project construction materials and their uses and limits.
- Advanced organization skills and a high attention to detail.
- Knowledge sufficient to qualify as an expert, an internal consultant, or a resource to SERA staff.
- Advanced interpersonal skills.
- Knowledge of and passion for sustainable design methodologies and techniques.
COVID-19 considerations: Proof of COVID-19 Vaccine (required)
SERA Architects Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.