SketchUp – Beyond the Basics! (1.5 LU)
Sketchup is widely known as a simple, easy-to-use 3D modeling program. Not as well-known are advanced tools to develop and refine models, and even fewer have adopted Layout to generate drawings for submittals and construction. Using screen share, the presenters will demonstrate how they use these programs in their practices.
- Creating simple models to easily visualize a design idea in three dimensions.
- Creating hand sketches on trace paper over plots from simple models.
- Presenting design ideas to clients in an engaging and clear way.
- Rapidly setting up orthographic and perspectival views of a model, including section cuts.
- Exporting models to .dwg format for further development in AutoCAD and for use by consultants.
- Using layout, presenting a model in plan, elevation, and sectional views on a title block, for review by planning and building departments and for use by contractors.
Kerstin Hellmann came to the US with a graduate degree in architecture and a scholarship to UC Berkeley. After graduating with a Master of Urban Design she worked for Lindy Small Architecture (1999 – 2009) and as a freelancer (1999-2011). Following that she was lead designer at Sogno Design Group and started her own practice in 2017, focusing on residential design. Two of her houses have been featured on the AIA EB Home Tours. Current projects include whole house renovations in Albany & Berkeley and a new home on San Juan, WA.
Andrew Lee has operated his own practice in the East Bay since 2007, focusing primarily on single-family homes. He seeks to create designs that harmonize with and enhance the qualities already present in a site and structure. In 2014, his kitchen renovation in Joseph Esherick’s Bermak House was recognized in the chapter’s annual design awards. Recent and current projects include a small climbing gym (an accessory building to a home near the Gourmet Ghetto) and whole-house renovations in Alameda and Oakland.
- Architecture for the Future of Public Housing (1 LU|HSW)
- Jun 05 2023
- 9:00 am - 10:00 am